History of The Magnolia Inn
The Magnolia Inn, completed in 1896, is the second oldest boarding house in the Village of Pinehurst. Its original boarding rates were $8 to $12 per week.
The Inn was soon used as overflow rooming for the Carolina Hotel (today belonging to Pinehurst Resort). Later it returned to a boarding house and was briefly used as the medical office of Dr. Francis Owens. He performed minor surgeries here. There are still residents of Pinehurst who were born in the building.
After the Carolina Hotel opened in 1900, James Walker Tufts, the founder of Pinehurst, was disturbed that the Magnolia Inn obscured the view of the Village of Pinehurst from his room at the Carolina Hotel.
Consequently, the top two floors were removed giving the Inn its current design. A “stairway to nowhere” still exists from the third floor to what was the fourth floor of the building. Several alterations to the building have been made over the years but the basic structure is original.